Do an Armpit Detox
Chances are, you’ve been applying deodorant or antiperspirant to your armpits since puberty to rid yourself of unwanted sweat and smells. What you may not know, however, is that commercial deodorants and antiperspirants can have a detrimental effect on your health. Commercial deodorant is made with many toxic chemicals and additives, including:
- Aluminum – The active ingredient in most commercial deodorants and antiperspirants, this metal acts a plug, blocking sweat from leaving the skin. Aluminum has been linked
to both cancer and Alzheimer’s
- Phthalates – Common in the cosmetics industry, this known endocrine disruptor can cause hormonal imbalance issues.
- Silica – A skin irritant that can cause rashes and inflammation
- Triclosan – Classified by the American Food & Drug Administration as a pesticide, this ingredient can also cause rashes and is a suspected carcinogen
- Propylene Glycol – Considered a neurotoxin, this chemical may cause kidney and liver damage.
- Formaldehyde – While this known carcinogen kills bacteria, it is also linked to cancer
- Parabens – This common cosmetic ingredient mimics estrogen in the body, and has been known to contribute to hormone imbalances and increase the risk of breast cancer.
Our armpits are especially sensitive to toxins. Why? Because two of our lymph nodes, a major part of our immune system, are located directly in our armpits. Our armpits’ skin can easily absorb these harmful chemicals, where they are then distributed throughout our lymphatic systems throughout the body.
Do You Need an Armpit Detox?
Over years of using commercial deodorants and antiperspirants, the amount of toxins in your armpits can really add up. This is why sometimes people report rashes and bad smells when switching to natural deodorant. Over time, your body will naturally rid itself of the toxins from commercial deodorants and antiperspirants. However, by doing an armpit detox, you can greatly reduce the speed at which your body cleanses itself of toxins. If you’re struggling to make the switch to natural deodorants, try applying a clay facial mask under your armpit which may assist with drawing out impurities in your skin.
The Natural Deodorant that Does the Detox for You
Using the right natural deodorant can also help to detox your armpits. Our Wooden Spice Deodorant contains Sandalwood, an essential oil that relieves congestion of the lymphatic system. Not only does this deodorant keep you smelling fresh, but it also supports the elimination of unhealthy toxins from the body.
What’s in Wooden Spice Natural Deodorant:
Dreamtime Sandalwood Oil – Dreamtime is a term used by Aboriginal Australians to describe a balance between spiritual, natural and moral elements. Produced from sustainably harvested Australian sandalwood, this oil has balancing and restorative properties for the skin and is from one of the most pristine environments in the world.
Carrot Seed Oil – Support skin cell renewal and healthy liver regeneration
Cedar Wood Oil – Antibacterial and antiviral properties safely deodorize to maintain skin health
Have you made the switch to natural deodorant yet? Let us know in the comments!
Shop now to start your armpit detox today!